Baby, it's hot outside. I don't know about you, but when it's around 100 degrees outside, the LAST thing I feel like doing is eating anything that emits heat. Leave the barbecuing to the boys I say, rather than being anywhere near burning coals or getting smoke in my eyes, I would much rather be surrounded by fans with popsicles in both hands. Okay, but a girl's gotta eat. After this past week of 100+ degree weather, I must say, no matter what the temperature is, these light and cool summer recipes were delicious and good any time of year. Enjoy and stay cool! Cold Soba Noodle Salad: [caption id="attachment_7960" align="alignnone" width="406"] Courtesy of FoodNetwork.com[/caption] Ingredients:
- 1 package soba noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced or julienned
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced or julienned
- 5 green onions, bottom 4 inches, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced or julienned
- 1/2 cup julienned bok choy
- 1 cup bean sprouts, optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, for garnish
- In a medium stock pot, boil water, add salt and cook noodles. When finished, place noodles in an ice water bath to cool. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, hot chili oil, hoisin and extra-virgin olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then combine prepared vegetables and noodles.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts.
Roasted Garlic, Olive & Tomato Pasta Salad:
(serves 4 - 6)
- 3 small heads garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 pound medium pasta shells
- 15 ounces whole or skim milk ricotta
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small tomatoes (about 1 pound), roughly diced
- 1 cup black or green olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Slice the tops off the garlic heads. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the center of a large square of foil and fold to seal. Place the packet in a baking pan and roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the garlic is very soft. Remove, and let cool.
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and remove to a large bowl. Toss with a little olive oil, and let cool while making the dressing. Whisk the ricotta and yogurt together until lightened and smooth, and add in all of the roasted garlic - squeezing the soft garlic out of each clove. Whisk vigorously, until the garlic is well-incorporated. Whisk in the salt and season generously with black pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the ricotta mixture over the pasta and add the tomatoes, olives, and basil. Toss to coat. Taste and season further if needed with salt and pepper. Serve cold and enjoy!
[caption id="attachment_7962" align="alignnone" width="330"] Courtesy of MarthaStewart.com[/caption]
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch (about 8 ounces) spinach, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add zucchini; toss to coat, and let marinate while cooking chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken until golden brown and opaque throughout, about 7 minutes per side. Remove from skillet, and slice thinly. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Toss chicken with zucchini mixture, spinach, onion, pecans, Parmesan, and mint. Chill and serve.
- 2 large cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups plain yogurt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill